PhD holders also work in the public sector:
- Public research bodies;
- Civil service;
- Public research centres.
Federal public research bodies:
- State Archives of Belgium,
- Royal Library of Belgium,
- Centre for Historical Research and Documentation on War and Contemporary Society,
- Royal Belgian Institute for Space Aeronomie,
- Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences,
- Royal Institute for Cultural Heritage,
- Royal Meteorological Institute of Belgium,
- Royal Museum for Central Africa,
- Royal Museums of Art and History, Brussels
- Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium,
- Royal Observatory of Belgium
- The Planetarium
- Geological Survey of Belgium.
A doctorate is not formally recognised in the civil service, and does not guarantee you a particular pay-grade. Nevertheless, the skills and expertise acquired while doing a doctorate can give PhD holders a competitive edge in the civil service entry exams organized by SELOR, the Federal Selection and Recruitment Office. SELOR manages recruitment at all three government levels: "fĂ©dĂ©ral", "communautaire" and "rĂ©gional".
Public research centres
The 22 research centres in Wallonia are listed on the Accord-Wallonie website.